The statistics are daunting. If you are hospitalized, your risk of dying increases dramatically. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in 25 hospitalized patients will contract an infection, possibly lethal, during their hospital stay. That, in combination with hospital errors, such as failure to follow guidelines, errors of omission, diagnostic errors and errors in the treatment protocol, results in half a million annual preventable hospital deaths.
Consequently, my clients often ask me to join them to visit a hospitalized relative in order to help them understand a treatment protocol. I can:
- Discuss the treatment protocol with the attending physician for you
- Help decipher the alphabet-soup of medical terms
- Help you assess the risks and benefits of current interventions
- Liaison with the clinical personnel for you
- Help you understand the clinical prognosis
Modern advances in medicine and state-of-the-art medical equipment notwithstanding, a hospital can be a place of unintended harm. Helping you to review the hospital’s treatment protocol to evaluate whether the benefits outweigh the risks, I do my best to ensure that you or your loved one avoids such harm.