Doctors are busy people. They care, and they do their best. But they are sandwiched between their own pressures of modern US Healthcare – insurance companies, time constraints, overhead costs, payment methods, and so forth. You can’t blame them if they can’t get to every health-affecting factor in your life or answer all of your questions. Furthermore, most people don’t know what exactly to ask their doctor or are simply afraid to “bother” their doctors with questions. But it is your health that’s at stake. Your health and hence your life.
Therefore, many of my clients ask me to accompany them to see their doctor. I can:
- Oversee your treatment options
- Learn about your doctor’s plan for you and comment when appropriate
- Watch out for possible harms to your health
- Help you understand your doctors decisions
- Navigate you through medical terminology
- Alert your doctors if they’re unaware of your habits that can clash with recommended treatments
- Weigh the risks and benefits of prescribed therapy for you
You only get a few minutes with your doctor. But as a patient, you have many rights in USA. Use the time with your doctor wisely, and get all the answers you need, not only about benefits of the proposed therapy but also about possible risks.