Statistics are staggering. When you get hospitalized, your risk of dying grows dramatically. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in 25 hospitalized patients will be affected by hospital-acquired infections. Hospitals are now known for spreading lethal infections. When you combine all hospital errors – like failure to follow guidelines, errors of omission or in treatment protocol, and diagnostic errors – the number of preventable hospital deaths is approaching half a million each year.
Consequently, my clients often ask me to visit their hospitalized relatives with them in order to review their treatment protocol. I can:
- Discuss the treatment protocol with the attending physician
- Help walk you through the jungle of medical terms
- Assess risks of negligent hospital attitude
- Weigh risks and benefits of inpatient interventions
- Talk to the personnel for you
- Help you understand clinical prognoses
As lucky as we all feel for the modern advances in medicine and incredible medical equipment in this country, a hospital can also become a place of unintended harm. I’m happy to be that extra layer of reassurance for you so that you or your relative can come out unscathed.